Best Babysitter Interview Questions You Need to Ask
If you didn’t meet your babysitter through a friend, then you need to know the best babysitter interview questions so you make sure you get a sitter you can trust. If you’re an introvert, this could be out of your comfort zone. Have no fear! Just pretend they’re in a duck costume if you get nervous.
Here’s a complete list of babysitter interview questions you need to ask.
Ask the babysitter these questions in a “weed-out” interview
The “weed-out” interview can be conducted by phone, chat, or email.
- What’s your name (first and last), phone number, email address, home address, age, and citizenship status? (NOTE: Some of this you’ll already have in Sitter if you use the Sitter app to find your babysitter.)
- Tell me a little about yourself.
- What is your availability?
- How much do you charge for X number of children? (NOTE: This is probably on their profile in Sitter app.)
- Do you have 2-3 references? Get the name and contact information. (NOTE: If you found the babysitter on the Sitter app, you can view their references and chat with parents directly through the app.)
- Are you ok with pets? (If applicable.)
- Are you CPR and/or First Aid Certified?
- What babysitting experience do you have?
If you feel comfortable with their answers to these questions, schedule a day and time when the babysitter can come to your house for an in-home interview for an hour to meet your child.
In that follow-up interview, you’ll want to ask the sitter more detailed questions.
Ask the babysitter these questions in a home interview
- What were the ages of the children you’ve watched in the past?
- What’s your favorite age to care for and why?
- What activities do you like to do with kids? Art? Music? “Field trips” to the park, library, zoo, etc.?
- Have you ever had a philosophical difference with a parent? What did you do?
- If my child were upset or crying, what would you do?
- If my child were to have a temper tantrum, what would you do?
- If my child threw a toy at another child’s head, what would you do?
- How comfortable are you with cooking or preparing my child’s food? What are some examples of things you would make him for lunches, snacks, etc.? Do you know what foods he/she shouldn’t have at this age? (If applicable.)
- Are you comfortable with giving my child a bath and putting them to bed?
- What do you love about being a babysitter?
- What do you not love about being a babysitter?
- Do you have your own transportation?
- Are you comfortable driving the kids?
- Do you have any questions for me?
Ask the babysitter these questions if you have an infant
If you have an infant, you’ll want to ask the babysitter a few more questions:
- Do you have experience caring for infants? Are you comfortable caring for them?
- Do you know how to change a diaper?
- Do you know infant CPR?
- Do you know how to put a baby to sleep? Do you know about SIDS?
- Do you know how to prepare a bottle?
- Are you familiar with Shaken Baby Syndrome?
- What are some things you’d look for in a room to make sure it was childproofed?
Want the babysitter interview questions in a printable format so you can have them handy for the interview? Here’s a free printable list of these Interview Questions for Babysitter (PDF) as well as a Babysitter Interview Checklist (PDF).
After you’ve completed the interview, it’s time to check the babysitter’s references.